January 17, 2023
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Unified Protocol for Transdiagnostic Treatment of Emotional Disorders
The proliferation of specific treatment manuals for specific disorders has created unintended barriers for implementation and dissemination of evidence-based psychological treatments. The Unified Protocol for the Treatment of Emotional Disorders (UP; Barlow et al., 2011) is a recently developed transdiagnostic, emotion-focused cognitive-behavioral treatment (CBT) that targets core deficits occurring across the neurotic spectrum (e.g., anxiety, depressive, and related disorders). This workshop will first briefly review evidence supporting the development of such transdiagnostic interventions. This will be followed by a description and demonstration of how to apply core UP treatment modules, along with the similarities and differences between the UP and traditional CBT. Audio and videotaped illustrations of core treatment interventions (e.g., mindful awareness, emotion exposures) will be presented, along with detailed case examples involving complex comorbidity. Attendees will be invited to participate in exercises as part of these demonstrations.Register Now
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of the current method of classifying mental disorders
- Construct a transdiagnostic case conceptualization for clients presenting with comorbid disorders
- Develop mindfulness-based interventions to increase clients’ awareness and experience of emotions
- Apply cognitive restructuring techniques targeting overestimation and catastrophizing
- Apply techniques to identify core beliefs that drive surface-level negative thoughts about situations and emotions
- Plan behavioral experiments to promote clients’ ability to engage in intentional action
Continuing Education Information
Kaiser Permanente Northern California Mental Health Training Programs is approved by the California Psychological Association, Office of Professional Development, to sponsor continuing professional education for psychologists in California.
Kaiser Permanente Northern California Mental Health Training Programs designate this live activity for 6 hours continuing education credits for the above-identified licensed professionals
Registration is closed for this event.