Our clinic is geographically convenient to many parts of the beautiful San Francisco Bay Area, including wine country, beaches and beautiful hiking trails. While some of our residents live nearby, others choose to make the easy (reverse!) commute from other beautiful parts of the Bay Area such as San Francisco, Oakland, Marin County, and more.
The department of Psychiatry at Kaiser Permanente Vallejo and Vacaville provides services to more than 300,000 members. In addition to Kaiser members, the departments provide services to approximately 20,000 Medi-Cal patients. Kaiser Vallejo functions in a similar way to a County hospital and provides services to a very diverse community including African Americans, Latino/a, Filipino/a, and Caucasians. In fact, by some measures Vallejo is the most diverse city in the United States!
The Kaiser Vallejo Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine departments offer cutting-edge training in a supportive and warm environment. As the largest training program in the Bay Area, our staff consists of numerous former trainees which helps contribute to a culture of growth and learning for each cohort. Practicum students are made to feel welcome and are truly valued as part of the team.
Our Mental Health Department is comprised of 3 teams: The Adult Team, the Child and Family team and the Intensive Outpatient Program. The medical center also has an Addiction Medicine Recovery Services (AMRS), a Behavioral Medicine Program (BMS), Behavioral Health Education, and a Chronic Pain program. In addition, there are full-time mental health staff covering our Emergency Department.
Practicum students are based in the Psychiatry outpatient clinic, where they provide individual and group psychotherapy and serve as part of the Adult Services team. In addition, practicum students may rotate through the Behavioral Medicine team providing primary care mental health services. Practicum students also rotate through our Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP).
Our staff consists of a vibrant mix of psychologists, psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, nurses, social workers, marriage and family therapists, postdoctoral residents, and practicum students. In addition to individual psychotherapy and medication management, our clinic hosts over 40 groups each week for various populations and presenting problems (examples include Depression, PTSD, Happiness, DBT, Bipolar, Mindfulness, and much more!).
We are a tight-knit clinic and think of ourselves as a family. We value trainees who work well with others and are open and receptive to feedback. Trainees who are hard-working, flexible, and eager to learn tend to flourish at our site.
- Kaiser Vallejo is located in one of the most diverse cities in the United States
- Over the past 5 years, we’ve hired over 50% of our postdoctoral residents onto our permanent staff
- As a practicum student you’ll gain a wealth of different experiences – individual therapy, group therapy, behavioral medicine, psychological testing, and more!
- Our program is one of the most flexible around – we aim to tailor the training year to match your specific training goals
Clinical Service Opportunities
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Group Psychotherapy/Psychoeducational Classes
- Psychological Testing
- Integrative Health Psychology (practicum students spend approximately 4 months in Behavioral Medicine)
Adult Team + Behavioral Medicine
(all practicum students rotate through each department throughout the training year)
- Behavioral Medicine
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
Clinics within the service area:
Vallejo, Vacaville, Fairfield, Napa
- Direct Patient Care: 12-14 hours
- Individual Supervision: 1 hour
- Group Supervision: 1 hour
- Didactic Training: 1 hour
- Supplemental Supervision with Postdoctoral Resident: 1 hour
- Team Meeting: 1 hour
- Case Consultation: 1 hour
- Non-patient Care: 4 hours
- Treatment planning
- The role of a psychologist in primary care
- Applying evidence-based approaches
- The impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Treatment of PTSD
- Strength-based approaches to care
- Cultural Conversations