Nicknamed the capital of Silicon Valley, San Jose is a diverse area with an innovative spirit. While it has a distinct downtown, San Jose is a sprawling metro area that is as much defined by its suburban neighborhoods and large tech campuses as it is by the high-rises in its business district. San Jose’s proximity to other tech headquarters in Silicon Valley, including Google in Mountain View and Apple in Cupertino, cements San Jose’s position in the tech hub. But the metro area also retains its character with quirky attractions like the 160-room, maze-like Winchester Mystery House; a 120-acre flea market complete with ponies; and a larger-than-life Monopoly board. Cradled by the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains and Diablo Range, San Jose offers a prime environment for outdoorsy residents, with its proximity to the ocean, the Sierra Nevada and the vineyards – not to mention about 300 sunny days a year.
San Jose Kaiser’s catchment area goes as far north as San Jose and as far south as Los Banos. The population within this area is varied and we see an exceedingly diverse population in our clinic, both in terms of ethnicity, but also in terms of religion, language, socio-economic status, and sexual orientation.
In our San Jose Child Psychiatry Department, we also have a dedicated Spanish Speaking team to serve the Spanish speaking population in our area.
Our clinic is welcoming to staff and patients alike. Office doors are open when we are not with a patient, as we often consult, support, and laugh with one another. We are diverse in backgrounds, but we all hold patient care as our number one priority.
- Individual, Group, and Family Psychotherapy
- Medication Evaluation & Management
- Psychoeducational Groups
- Fellows receive financial imbursement for trainings and licensure preparation.
- Group rotation spanning preschool age to older teens
- Spanish speaking team & Groups
- We have hired several post-master’s fellows over the past 2 years.
We seek individuals who are flexible, quick learners, team players, who are open to supervision and have strong communication skills
Clinical Service Opportunities
- Individual, Family, & Group Psychotherapy
- Psychoeducational Classes
- Intensive Outpatient Program
- Observe ASD evaluations in our ASD regional clinic
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Adult Psychiatry
- Addiction Medicine Recovery Services
- Direct Patient Care: 20 hours
- Non-Patient Care: 11 hours
- Individual Supervision: 2 hours
- Group Supervision: 2 hours
- Didactic Training: 2 hours
- Cultural Conversations: 1 hour 1-2x a month
- Community Benefit Project: 32 hours over the course of the year
- ADHD Evaluation & Treatment in Children & Teens
- Strategic Family Therapy
- Feedback Informed Care
- Working with Transgender Youth
- Dual Diagnosis in Children and Teens
- Eating Disorders in Children and Teens
- LGBT Issues
- Trauma Focused CBT with Children
“For someone new to the field of clinical work I was both intimidated and overwhelmed as I embarked on this journey. From the start of the program I had a tremendous amount of support from my supervisors, former trainees and other clinic staff. This program exceeded my expectations in offering opportunities to learn and grow as a clinician. Through the guidance and support of experts in the filed I was able to transition from this position feeling more confident and excited about working in mental health.”
Janet Hurtado, LCSW, Former Fellow
“I felt lucky when I heard I was selected to join the training program at Kaiser because while I was looking at programs to increase my profession experience Kaiser was the rare site that had more than one expert that I can learn from. After I was 3 months into the program, it was beneficial for my learning to be able to seek the professional input of several rather than a few. My decision to participate in the KP training program is the best decision I have made for my career. The training program allowed me the professional opportunities to consult with a variety of providers under one site who possess a wealth of experience. The program gave me access to a variety of trainings, each with different topics, which provided me with a different perspective on how to increase my clinical skills. The training program greatly invests in your professional growth! I know that I am a better clinician now than I was before the program. “
Richard Alvarado , ASW, Former Fellow
6620 Via del Oro
San Jose, CA 95119
5755 Cottle Road, Building 24
San Jose, CA 95123
Victoria Marvin, LMFT
Training Program Director Child Team
Janet Lopez, LMFT
Training Program Director Adult Team