November 21, 2023
1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Ethical Considerations and Dilemmas for Therapists
This course will introduce participants to fundamental ethics principles relevant to mental health providers including confidentiality, mandatory reporting, duties to third parties including Tarasoff duties, boundary crossings, third party decision-making, the right to refuse care and the basics of resource allocation. Case law, federal and state statutes, professional guidelines, and major ethical theories will be review when relevant. The goals of this session of for participants to have develop hands-on skills in issue spotting, an understanding of how to address common ethical challenges, and guidance on where to turn for guidance in various circumstances.Register Now
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the fundamental principles of medical ethics and apply them to cases that frequently arise in mental healthcare.
- Assess ethical issues as they arise and understand which approaches and consultations are most appropriate for different situations.
- Analyze cases that arise in clinical practice through the framework of medical ethics.
- Apply the rules and principles of major legal cases in mental health ethics including Tarasoff, Redmond v. Jaffee and Roy v. Hartogs.
- Explain how to balance the interests of various parties including patients, family members, and the public in the application of duties related to confidentiality, disclosure and reporting.
Continuing Education Information
Kaiser Permanente Northern California Mental Health Training Programs is approved by the California Psychological Association, Office of Professional Development, to sponsor continuing professional education for psychologists in California.
Kaiser Permanente Northern California Mental Health Training Programs designate this live activity for 3 hours continuing education credits for the above-identified licensed professionals.
Refund and Attendance Policy
The seminars mentioned above are Free of charge to Kaiser Permanente Employees and Trainees.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Those who attend the program in full and complete the appropriate evaluation form will receive CE credits. Please note that credit will only be granted for those who attend the entire lecture.