This course examines development of cultural competency skills in mental health treatment. Several questions are addressed:
(1) Why is there a need for cultural competency? This question is addressed by analyzing the research on mental health disparities that exist among ethnic minority groups.
(2) What kinds of adaptations to treatment are needed? The role of various interventions (language, cultural knowledge, use of metaphors, etc.) is discussed.
(3) Do cultural interventions work or are they a reflection of political correctness? What is the research evidence for their effectiveness?
(4) How can we improve on our skills in working with people from differing cultural background? A tool kit is constructed that include steps for the personal development of cultural competency.
(5) What are ongoing and future issues that have emerged from cultural competency?
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the role of culture in mental health treatment and assessment
- Apply knowledge about the research involved in cultural competency
- Develop a toolkit in working with people from different cultures
- Connect research findings into self-awareness, informed interventions, and skills
Licensed mental health professionals employed through Kaiser Permanente and psychological assistants performing under supervision of a licensed psychologist.
This CE program is free to Kaiser Permanente employees.
Continuing Education Information
Kaiser Permanente Northern California Mental Health Training Program is approved by the California Psychological Association to provide continuing professional education for psychologists. The Kaiser Permanente Northern California Mental Health Training Program maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Refund and Attendance Policy
All programs offered on KP Learn for CE credit through the KP Northern California Mental Health Training website are free of charge to Kaiser Permanente Staff and trainees. Once a course is selected in the KP NCAL MH Training Website, the registration process begins, and it will appear in the individuals KP Learn profile for completion within 90 days.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Those who attend the program in full and complete the appropriate evaluation form will receive CE credits. Please note that credit will only be granted to those who attend the entire program. An attestation of attendance will be given once the individual has completed viewing the program, which will then initiate the final steps of completing the evaluation forms to receive a certificate of completion.